Hey, folks! It’s been a while since I’ve gotten some work done on the Mercedes. After a catastrophic inverter failure, I shelved the project for a while. Now that I’m coming back around to it, I’ve decided to redo a few things. Since I have to take the whole thing apart, I might as well address design issues I discovered during the build process. Chief among those issues are the adapter plate and coupler. While they were functional, I do not believe that they were as good as the should have been. So, up first, the adapter plate redesign!
Newly Designed Adapter Plate
The original adapter plate had several issues, but there were three really big ones: it was not thick enough for the intended bearing, the bore was not large enough for the intended bearing, and there was no locating ring to maintain alignment.
I was unaware of some very important design decisions when making use of bearings and press fit assemblies. I have changed the clearance ever so slightly so that the bearing will not slip fit into the adapter, and it will be held in plate with Loctite Bearing Mount. Here is a link to the product on Amazon: Loctite Bearing Mount Stick – Green. This will make the bearing easier to mount and replace: a hydraulic press is no longer needed! As an additional benefit, the bearing race will not be deformed by an overly tight fit, which leads to premature bearing failure and lots of heat. The adapter plate is also 50mm thick, now, instead of just 20. This will allow the bearing to fit properly with more thread engagement on the mounting holes.
The Loctite Bearing Mount can be broken down with heat from a torch, allowing the bearing to be reasonably replaced in the event of failure.
An additional redesign adds the all-important locating ring to the adapter plate. This ring is present on all of the motors that bolt to the Can EV adapter plates. I neglected to include it in my original design, intending to alight the motor with only the bolts. This is not sufficient! As such, I have added a 10mm locating ring to lock everything into position. Adding this ring required several dimensions to be updated, so the adapter is now much beefier than it was before.
Lastly, I added 3 more sets of transmission-adapter mounting holes for versatility and I clocked them to better align the motor and transmission. They should now be much closer to parallel, which will make mounting them as a unit easier.
The adapter plate uses a new bearing. The ER211-55 of the original adapter has been replaced with an ER209-45. This is to accommodate the require dimensional changes that I made to the adapter in order to add the locating ring. The bore of the adapter will fit the 80mm bearing in a tight slip-fit, and the coupler will be made of a 45mm steel rod turned on a lathe. More details on that later…
Pics or it didn’t happen!
OK, OK. Pictures coming up. In addition, the model is available here: New Adapter Plate Model. I’d recommend waiting until I receive the actual plate and report on fitment before you go off and have it milled.